Lions fall to Capital in overtime

Courtesy of Don Denney
Courtesy of Don Denney

COLUMBUS, Ohio-- The Mount St. Joseph men's basketball team traveled north on I-74 to take on the Crusaders of Capital University. Despite a valiant effort the Lions would fall in overtime 80-73. 

The first half was dominated offensively by the Lions senior guard Andrew Finley (Cincinnati, OH/Walnut Hills). Finley scored 17 of his 19 points in the first half, helping carry them into the break with a 36-34 lead. 

The Lions led for most of the second half, and even held a 10 point lead after 6:00 minutes of the half. They were not able to put the Crusaders away though. As Capital fought back to take the lead with 5:15 to play. The action would be back and forth for the rest of regulation. With the Lions trailing by three with under a minute to play, Jordan Henry (Lexington, KY/Bryan Station) drilled a straight on three-pointer to tie the game at 68.

The next two plays would be the games most pivotal, Erik Edwards (Cincinnati, OH/Roger Bacon) fouled out of the game with :41 seconds remaining. Capital missed the front end of a 1-and-1, missing out on an opportunity to take the lead. The Lions would get the ball back and with under 1-second to play Adam Goetz (Erlanger, KY/St. Henry), who had scored 14 second half points, put up a shot from the right block to win the game. The ball would hang on the rim for what must have felt like an eternity, but the ball would eventually rim out, allowing the game to go to overtime. 

The loss of Edwards would be felt in the overtime period. The Mount scored first in OT on a Henry jump shot. Capital would take over the overtime period after that, outscoring the Lions 12-5. 

All five Lions starters scored in double-figures, Finley (19), Goetz (17), Henry (13), Edwards (11) and Jake Cropper (Georgetown, OH/Georgetown) (10).  

The Lions will take to the court again on December 30th, as they welcome Thomas More into the Harrington Center. The game is scheduled for a 3:00 PM tip-off.