Lightning Delays Couldn't Stop the Mount

Lightning Delays Couldn't Stop the Mount

Marietta, Ohio – The Mount St. Joseph women's soccer team competed against the Pioneers of Marietta College in their final non-conference match-up of the season on Saturday. As the Lions found themselves on the road yet again, they sought to continue their winning streak before entering HCAC conference play next week. The Lions would take advantage of a couple of lightning delays and improve their record to 4-4-1 for the season, reaching the .500 mark.  

The Pioneers would get an early break on the Mount as the Lions struggled to find their energy. Just seven minutes into the game the Pioneers would get past the Lions starting goalkeeper Madison Hart (Liberty Township, Ohio/Lakota East) with a shot from right inside the 18-yard box and high into the center of the goal.  Things would remain quiet on both sides until lightning interrupted the game for the first time. In the 30thminute of play both teams were sent off the field for a 30-minute lightning delay. 

The Lions took full advantage of the lightning delay, finding their composure and energy, and came out to play for the remaining 15 minutes of the half. Less than three minutes after play resumed the Lions tied up the game. The tying goal came from an assist from Etelle Nfor (Frankfort Ky./Western Hills) who passed it across the top of the 18-yard box to Stefanie Autenrieb (Cincinnati, Ohio/Seton) who was able to run past her defender, take a touch, juke the goalkeeper and place the ball into the opposite direction of her dive. Less than a minute later the Pioneers would commit a foul in the box, resulting in a Lions penalty kick. Autenrieb would step up to take the kick for the Lions, placing the ball into the lower left corner of the net, recording her second goal of the game, giving the Lions a 2-1 lead. The Lions weren't done yet. With about 13 minutes still remaining in the half, freshman Camryn Kuchenbuch (Cincinnati, Ohio/Seton) would record her first goal of the season in the 41stminute with a header into the bottom right corner off a long, over the top cross from Madeline Rechel (Harrison, Ohio/Harrison). Entering the half the Lions led the Pioneers 3-1. 

Halftime would be extended by a second lighning delay as the Lions and Pioneers waited to take the field for the remainder of the game. 

With the second half underway the Lions hoped to continue to build their lead, taking 14 shots, with eight on goal. Both teams started to get physical while trying to gain possession of the ball.  The fourth goal would finally come in the 70thminute off another Rechel assist, this time with a ball played over the top into the 6-yard box, resulting in the Pioneer goalkeeper bobbling the ball, dropping it, and Hannah Schloemer (Lawrenceburg, Ind./East Central) taking advantage of it and getting her foot on it to tap it into the net, recording her first goal of the season.  Both teams would end the half with a couple of more shots, but were unable to place anymore into the goal, resulting in a Lions 4-1 victory over the Pioneers of Marietta College. 

Next Saturday, the Lions enter the second half of the season as they begin conference play, traveling to Richmond, Indiana to take on HCAC competitor Earlham College.  The Lions head into conference play with a 4-4-1 record while the Quakers of Earlham College come in with a 7-2 record and lead the HCAC standings. The game is set to kick off at 1PM at Matlack-Messer Stadium. Continue to checkout for more updates on the rest of the Lions 2019 season.